Am I there yet?

Am I there yet?
It is better to attempt something great and fail, than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

Summer Fun

My moods are ruled by the weather. I am a much happier person from March through November. I am a summer person all the way. I can sit in the sun all day long, but having a pool makes that bearable. I slap my hair up off my neck, kick off my shoes (not that I usually wear any) and soak up the rays. I am a true Alabama girl and wouldn't have it any other way.

I love the water. I don't care if it is the pool, the beach or the river. Residing on or near the water is where you will find me.





Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When a book disappoints.

Yes, I have personal experience with this. I am so aware that my book needs a WHOLE lot of work, but that is ok. When I have a little downtime, I edit. I have edited a small amount (truth, not much), I have jotted down several ideas to begin writing new manuscripts, I have vamped up a few short stories, and I made time to read. I always make time to read, as I am a firm believer that if you want to be a writer, then you need to continue learning and experiencing your craft.

I was at the beach this past weekend with my younger son (pictured above, what a handsome young man), and finally finished James Patterson's Witch and Wizard. Ughhhh! I made myself finish it, and it was extremely difficult. When I first picked it up, I didn't realize it was written for young adult, not that it should have mattered. I love the Twilight series. This one was also written with Gabrielle Charbonnet. I hoped that they would finish the story with Whit and Wisty explaining how they escaped the execution, if they did, but it was left open for you to continue reading the series. Which, I won't.

The constant change in point of views drove me insane. One chapter from Wisty, one from Whit, 2 from Wisty, 3 from Whit, 2 from Misty, etc. etc. There was no method to this madness. I kept thinking I was reading from the other one's perspective. Not only was this confusing to me, it must have been confusing to the writers, as I know for certain in one chapter from Misty's point of view, it ended with "said Misty." Alrighty then, I thought these were her words, yet you have to state it.

The storyline was so-so. I thought the characters were cheesy and didn't stay in character. I suppose I will just keep writing my own masterpiece and never receive a bad review (in a perfect world).

No comments:

Post a Comment